Serving The Children of Abingdon & Washington County
The Kiwanis Club of Abingdon was officially chartered on September 17, 1942 with 42 charter members. The charter was officially declared at a buffet banquet held at the Martha Washington Inn on October 27, 1942 when Governor Waitman F. Zinn of the Capital District delivered to the local club its charter. This club was organized under the sponsorship of the Bristol Club who with its president, Lewis A. Sterchi, attended together with many of its members.
Lieutenant Price Hylton of Roanoke presided as toastmaster. Approximately 100 Kiwanians and guests were in attendance. Govenor Zinn presented to Fewell Legard, president of the Abingdon Club, the charter. Other speakers included Malcolm Shull of Elizabethton, governor-elect of the Kentucy-Tennessee district, L. A. Sterchi, Dr. H. G. Noffsinger of Virginia Intermont College, Roby C. Thompson and Hudson Hufford of Bluefield, WV, a trustee of Kiwanis International.
The Kiwanis Club of Abingdon has continued to be an active and energetic club over the past 66 years supporting many local organizations for the betterment of Abingdon and surrounding areas. Through several annual fund raising activities the club contributes in excess of $25,000 annually to local service projects.